Friday, August 8, 2014

SIL quilt...

DD pieced a jellyroll 1600 quilt for SIL....and I got to quilt it on Sadie!
I'd like to show some pics and talk about the parts and what I was trying to do.
I'll show the overall top, sans binding, so you can see the piecing.... DD did a great job!

This is laid out on a unmade bed, with light coming through the window on the left side. The side light helps make the quilting a little easier to see on the patterned fabric... The center is a loosely made variation of McTavishing... Not well done, but done. The first 2" border is plain feathers. The next wide dark blue strips on top and bottom have parts of scripture from Genesis one  about the creation of great whales and winged creatures.. And it was good... The outer border is wider than the 2" one and again has plain feathers.
This is what the center back looks like...
I love the back!!!
Next is a sample close up of the bottom scripture...
Notice the narrow rope type border with outline scrubbed and inside and outside fill...I really didn't like it without the extra embellishments... Very heavily quilted.
Next is a view of the side borders.
Notice the birds, fish and whales strips? 
Now look at the borders from the back.
Not too bad an overall effect,...I've got a lifetime of learning and practicing ahead of me....






No comments:

Post a Comment